Wednesday, November 20, 2013

GRATITUDE


      I know in my own life I have had lots to be grateful for and well a question has dawned on me that I didn’t think would be possible, but something that can be true in someone’s life.  The question is “What if someone out there in the world doesn’t know what Gratitude is?”  I know that it would be odd never to have been taught of this topic but I feel that I should actually give what I know and see if I can help those out there who do not know what Gratitude is or those that have forgotten what they should be grateful for in their lives.   I have read upon such a topic for a couple of weeks now.  And I have a lot of wonderful and inspiring friends and family in my life.  I am truly grateful to have such great examples in my life that show great blessings of Gratitude.

     Thanksgiving is coming up and I know this holiday usually reminds us of what we should be thankful for.  And well to me I think that we don’t need to have a holiday to remind us of such things.  We should constantly be thankful throughout our lives every day of each year rather than being brought down to it by the end of the year. 

 
      Now let me ask you this do material possessions make us happy and grateful?  Perhaps only momentarily.  However, those things which provide a deep and lasting happiness and gratitude are the things which money cannot buy. For instance our families, our religious beliefs, good friends, our health, our abilities and the love we receive from those around us.  But these are more than likely the many things we all take for granted at times.  The English author Aldous Huxley wrote, “Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”  I believe this to be true because I know I do it at times.  I am not perfect, but I know that I can come down to humbling myself to a level to realize the things that I am truly grateful for.  Which I know that you can too.  Humility is one of the biggest things when it comes to being thankful for things.  This is why Pride is the opposite of Humility.  Pride can and will destroy Gratitude if we allow it to.  I know at times it is hard to be grateful especially when you think there is nothing to be grateful for.  Even though it seems we have nothing to be grateful for; there are actually more than you know.  You see all we need to do is not see what we have physically but what we have inside of our hearts; the good things in life.  They are the things that bring happiness and joy in which we always are grateful for.  Now we must be careful to not have too much pride in our lives.  Because pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place.  We must always become a grateful individual in life and when we become that individual we see life differently than others.  We see that good outweighs evil, Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of life.  A wise man that I have come to know has said:

“When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives.”

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Giving thanks in life no matter what it might be; like for things you can do for others or deeds that come from others will have good things that follow.  Gratitude should not be forgotten in your life; it should always be remembered because only when gratitude is given the blessings will follow.

        I know that without Gratitude I would be without inspiration.  I thank everyone one of you for reading my posts and hope that you do continue to do so.  But I am going to give the credit to my friends and family for helping know what to say.  Here are stories from friends and also experiences that they wanted to share with me and now I share them with you.  I hope that you take what you feel and also what you have learned and apply it to yours and everyone you come in contact with lives.  Here are my friend’s messages:

“I am grateful for Priesthood and the power of God in my life and for my career! Helping preventing bullying has been the most rewarding part of my career and am grateful for that. I am grateful for my family and for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”

  ~Victoria from Savannah, GA

“I am grateful for my friends, family and the church. I’ve been going through a difficult time health wise and all three (the church of course including our Heavenly Father as well as the members) have been an inspiration for me to keep going and not crawl under a rock.”

   ~Vergia from Enterprise, AL

“We have been struggling financially and I started looking for jobs. As a last resort, I applied at the nursing home (not really wanting it). I got the job, and no other offers.  I took it reluctantly, but through serving these people, these elderly people, I have learned so much.  I gained a love for them, they are amazing, and they have lived incredible lives.  It is the hardest job I’ve ever had and I am exhausted, but I know now God wanted me to have it.  I am so grateful that He intervened and led me to it.”

   ~Sheila from Nephi, UT

“One day I was in need of a sitter on a Saturday and didn’t have anyone to watch my daughter.  The only one who would watch her wanted $50 for 5 hours.  I might as well stay home.  But out of the blue my friend came over last minute and watched my daughter.  I was very grateful to have such good friends.”

   ~Megan from Lehigh Acres, FL

“When I was in high school senior year I had such a hard time in my life at this time.  Something bad but not too serious happened that I had to go through the process of repentance.  Yes, it is true that the process is a painful one. But, I felt a different kind of pain in oppose to admitting and asking for forgiveness.  Because I knew that my Heavenly Father was forgiving and I had to come forth with a broken heart and contrite spirit.  I did and for some, it is hard, but luckily I found it easier for me.  I only found it easy because I am not stubborn to ask for forgiveness.  Now when I confessed what had happened two of my friends had found out what I did and they were upset with me and what I have done and now I found out that they weren’t the friends I thought they were.  And this took a great toll on me.  Shortly after I went on a trek and it truly changed my life and made things so much better than what they had been.  Later on I had attended a church dance and met a young man that I would only love forever.  I had no idea I had known him for years and we have been really good friends.  He is the one who put me back together piece by piece and has been there for me when my so called friends weren’t.  He and his family have helped me so much and am so grateful to have him and his family and my Heavenly Father to bring me out of my situation and with a full and happy heart. And with great Love back into my life!”

   ~Jalisa from Statesboro, GA

“Gratitude starts with me being adopted. My life hinges on that one moment in my life.  I would have never learned about the Gospel. I wouldn’t have the life now if I hadn’t been adopted.  I am grateful every day for the Lords tender mercy and grateful for the Plan of Salvation.  God knows all of us and He has a plan for each of us and am so grateful for all of that.”

   ~Christopher from Statesboro, GA

“I am grateful for the wonderful year of happiness and help my wife and her family has done for me. I’m happy when I can come home every day knowing someone I love is waiting for me and letting me know that they’ll always be there.  I’m grateful that no matter what problems we may come across or the financial problems I have she stays by my side and helps out as much as she can and loves me no matter how long I play my game or how long I work or if I have to go to the field.”

   ~Javon from Baumholder, Germany

“First and foremost I am grateful for the Gospel in my life.  Growing up I was raised by my grandmother who was a devoted Catholic.  And back then that is what I was raised as and well since I wasn’t raised by my parents I had to stay with the religious faith that my Grandmother was a part of.  Now during my life time I had seen many things that have changed my life but there is one thing that I couldn’t figure out.  In the Catholic religion there is not talk about what happens after someone passes and this weighed heavily on my mind and heart.  I truly didn’t know what to do.  I grew up around several of those who were apart of the Mormon Church and enjoyed being around them and seeing how happy they were.  But still I had to follow what my Grandmother believed.  As I became older I was able to choose to pursue a new part of life.  And that was to accept Christ in my life through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Through this church I have come to know of what will come of us when leaving this life.  After being baptized into the church I also have come to know by inspiration that this church is truly Gods church upon the earth.  I am grateful for the church and my family and friends.  I am also grateful for the authority or otherwise called the priesthood that has helped me receive the blessings that I needed in my life!”

   ~James from Orem, UT

“I always think how amazing life is and how grateful I am that my life has turned out the way it has so far.  I am grateful that the Lord hasn’t always given me what I want.  Here’s a few facts about me:

    ~It took me 10 years to get a bachelor’s degree from BYU.
     ~I was on the BYU football team as a walk on for only 3 years, then I quit.
    ~I was in 3 singing groups at BYU that you probably haven't heard of - VOX, Brothers in Harmony and 6TRAC.

Now, just looking at those few things it may seem like my life has been a failure.  But, I am so grateful for each one of those experiences in my life, and for where that journey has taken me.  Here are a few other facts about me:

      ~Because I was still around BYU in 2000, I reconnected with Rachel. We started dating and she is now my beautifulwife of 12 years and counting. Where would I be without her?
      ~I quit the football team in order to spend more time performing. As a result I was able to improve my individual singing and harmonies in each group, which has lead to other singing and performing opportunities in my life.
      ~If I had left BYU any sooner, I never would have had the chance to meet up with Bret Bryce and Dave Kimball. They are 2 friends I met while performing with BYU Young Ambassadors in 2000.  Shortly after Young Ambassadors, the 3 of us joined up with Justin Smith who I knew from 6TRAC, and became members of the acappella group VOX.
       ~The group VOX became Jericho Road in 2001.  We have had the chance to perform in countless audiences throughout England, Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Chile, Japan, the Caribbean and all over the U.S. I have been able to record 6 CD’s and spent much of my time doing things which makes me most happy – testifying of my Savior, Jesus Christ through music and spoken word.

So, I guess in a way, gratitude is about how we view and receive the challenges and gifts which God chooses to give us. I have learned to be grateful for them.”

   ~Abe from Orlando, FL
"Each day that I get a little older I've become a little less controlling, a little more patient, a little more understanding, a little more forgiving and a lot more grateful.  I've learned that the little things are the big things and big things are little.  I've learned that if you laugh when things are tough, it will help you through, if you smile when things are hard, it will make it a little easier, and if one person believes in you, you can conquer the world.  I've come to recognize the things that matter and the things that don't.  Although this learning process hasn't been easy!  It has been life changing.  Life never gets easier.  I just get a little better.  What I learned today is this: Being mad over small things only makes you miss out on the chance of remembering the big things! And through all my experience I am grateful that I had the opportunity to experience them all."

   ~Lindsey from Missoula, MT
As you see these are people I have come to know in my life from all walks of life.  I hope that you are also inspired by what is written.  Also would like for you to share in a comment what you are grateful for in your life.  Thanks and hope to hear from you.

3 comments:

  1. Took me a moment to complete reading this (I have an hour for lunch, and that was cut to 15 minutes for a briefing that ran over its time) so I could eat and read at the same time. I really like what you put into this with the feelings of your friends on what they are grateful for... however, I know for a fact that some people don't know what true gratitude is, until they are in a situation where they NEED help. Sometimes individuals are handed everything in life and when they struggle for the first time is when they know what the true feeling of gratitude is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed reading this. So much has been put into this from so many people. This year has been a difficult one for me. Since I got injured at work and haven't felt well...lost my job..losing my house....I have realized what I should really be thankful for. I am grateful for being with my family (minus a couple of boys) during this time. They are very supportive and loving. I am thankful for the health that I do have...even though it has been cut down a lot I am still glad I can do what I can. Fotu you have a talent for writing and I appreciate this. You are my oldest boy and wished you could have been with us during this time and I love you much!! Thank you for this article...loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:32 AM

    It's very straightforward to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks,
    as I found this paragraph at this web page.

    Here is my site; cellulite treatment kelowna

    ReplyDelete